3/8/13

Dancing for Fallen Heroes

There is nothing that makes me prouder than seeing local businesses doing things to help our groups and organizations in need. And what is even better that it will be done simply by doing Zumba, that's amazing, right!

Before I talk about the event, I want to share with you a little about why this cause is so important to me and my family. ALL of you know by now that my husband is a veteran. He was deployed to Iraq in 2008 during Operation Iraqi Freedom, thankfully he made it home safe and sound unlike many others who did not, I thank God for that every single day.

He is open about discussing this so I'm not stepping on his toes and I won't go into too much details but GQ had a pretty difficult experience with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). It's a very real thing that he experienced first-hand. He got the help he needed and is doing a lot better but other soldiers do not always get the help they need and struggle with severe depression and even (far too often) suicide. The number of suicides in the military, post deployment, is astonishing and heart-wrenching. I won't even get into that today but it's something that I struggle with understanding why there is not more help for our returning soldiers. Sigh.

GQ is doing great today and is preparing for another possible deployment soon and we are working hard as a couple to best prepare ourselves for what's to come. But too many families don't have the chance to "work through" problems because their soldier doesn't come home alive. It's something I cannot even begin to fathom, my heart aches just thinking about it.

GQ lost his best friend in college during the initial surge in Iraq. His picture is mounted on our wall and GQ talks about him all the time. I didn't get a chance to know Rob but I feel like I learn more about him everyday through my husband's love for this man. I am not sure GQ will ever fully recover from the loss of his friend and I know that group of friends has a strong bond to this day as they were truly united by this tragedy. I can't even begin to be there for GQ and help him understand that hurt but it does make me appreciate every day I have with him. Rob will always be hanging in our home as a reminder to both of us to love those around us, every day!

Our wall honoring Rob and Lucas

Rob's picture. *Sorry it's a bit blurry, picture of a picture.
Tonight a local dance studio, Fuego House of Dance, is putting on a Zumba event to raise money for the families of fallen heroes. I love the idea.

"Fallen Hero Zumba event is what's happening tonight at Fuego House of Dance for the families who have lost a hero while serving their country / community!! Only $6 to get in. Dress attire is Military or patriotic. What an amazing way to show our appreciation to those who have lost thier life to serve. Party starts at 7pm."

Photo: Fallen Hero Zumba event is what's happening tonight at Fuego House of Dance for the families who have lost a hero while serving their country / community!! Only $6 to get in. Dress attire is Military or patriotic. What an amazing way to show our appreciation to those who have lost thier life to serve. Party starts at 7pm
U.S. Soldiers Honoring a Fallen Hero

Now I know I don't have too many friends in St. George (yet) but I mostly post this as a reminder to keep these families in your minds. If you have the opportunity or resources to help out locally, do it!

I am excited to attend this event tonight in honor of my husband and Rob and all the families that have had to go through what seems impossible to me. 

Add a soldier and their family to your prayers/thoughts/energy, whatever it is today! 

No comments: