10/11/12

Miss Rhode Island Returns Home

I am lucky enough to get to travel fairly often.

I have a goal/bucket list item, "50 by 50!" I want to
visit all 50 states by the time I'm 50. I will be 30 next
year (holy crap) and have about that many states
checked off my list.

I thought it might be fun to share some fun facts (and hysterical
laws about the next state I will be checking off my bucket list this weekend...

Rhode Island

1. Rhode Island is the smallest state in size in the United States. It covers an area of 1,214 square miles.

2. Rhode Island was home to the first National Lawn Tennis Championship in 1899. (I'm sure someone, somewhere cares about lawn tennis...)

3. The Flying Horse Carousel is the nation's oldest carousel. It is located in the resort town of Watch Hill.


4. The world's largest bug is on the roof of New England Pest Control in Providence. It's a big blue termite, 58 feet long and 928 times actual termite size. (EW!)



5. Rhode Island has a number of "Strange Laws":
a. No one may bite another's leg (I'm so relieved).
b. Professional sports, except ice polo and hockey, must obtain a license to play games on Sunday (sound familiar?).
c. Any marriage where either of the parties is an idiot or lunatic is null and void. (Wish I would have known this at one point in my life.)
d. It is considered an offense to throw pickle juice on a trolley (who would do such a thing?)
e. In Providence - It is illegal to wear transparent clothing. (Crap! Guess I have to re-pack, bummer).

6. The state flower of Rhode Island is a Violet.



7. Rhode Island claims the first ever public skating rink.

8. The state drink of Rhode Island is Coffee Milk (too bad I hate coffee and milk).



9. The state motto of Rhode Island is "Size Doesn't Matter". (So THAT'S where that lie started).

10. The official name of the state is: The State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations (Phew. Glad they shortened that one).

BONUS: I, yes I, was once Miss Rhode Island. I once competing a dance beauty contest in which I had to pick a state in the USA and I chose Rhode Island. Well, THEN they told me I had to dress up like something representing my state. OH CRAP! So I got creative and dressed as a hot pink lighthouse, with a flashlight on my head and I just spun around. BRILLIANT. And guess who won, you got it, MISS RHODE ISLAND. Congrats to me. I am now going to the place I was destined to go... :)

I'm still pretty bummed about "No Transparent Clothing"...

1 comment:

Kathie said...

You were the best pink lighthouse I have ever seen.