3/6/12

One Year Down,, Lots more to go...

My first anniversary was on Sunday March 4th. GQ and I were apart for the big day but I wanted to celebrate somehow.

So I thought I would share with you some of my favorite parts of our wedding day. It was a very quiet, intimate celebration and I loved everything about that day, especially the people that were there, they top the list for sure.

1. I loved that we had a giant cupcake and not a wedding cake. We did this mostly because we got married on my dad's birthday and a cupcake seemed most appropriate, but we both think cupcakes are better than cake! :)


One of, if not the, sweetest moments of the night was when we sang Happy Birthday to my dad before the cupcake cutting. I had my grandma stand next to me and she bawled. It was such a sweet, cherished moment for me. I get teary-eyed just thinking about it.





2. Many people don't know this, but right before I walked down the aisle. My mother gave me her wedding ring from my dad. It was such a sweet moment and I got to wear it down the aisle. The ring is now on a chain around my neck because my mom's hands were so small I couldn't fit it on any of my fingers. Best something old ever!



3. Beleive it or not, I had never seen my groom in his military Class A's until I walked down the aisle. It was fun seeing him in something I'd never seen him, and he seeing me in my dress for the first time. I knew he would be handsome and he was.





4. GQ and I decided early on that we wanted to write our own vows. It turned out to be my favorite part of the whole event. I decided to write my vows in braille and I was so nervous to try to read them in front of everyone. My hands were shaking the whole time. I'm proud of myself for pulling it off (also notice the yellow LiveStrong bracelet, that thing never comes off and my wedding day was no exception.).



There was this sweet, sweet moment when I was shaking so badly and GQ just reached over and held my arm steady. It was a quiet moment but calmed me down. I'm so glad Donna captured it in picture!





I crack up at this next picture because I am literally sobbing. It was quite embarrassing with the snot and all but it's real and that's what I love about this picture. There were LOTS of tears all around, I was so surprised that I cried so much. Little Miss, "Always put together" kind of lost it.



5. When all was said and done, we had said our vows and exchanged rings. I remember feeling this surge of energy kick in. I never remember feeling so elated about something. It was such a cool moment for me.



6. One of my favorite parts of the wedding didn't even all happen at the wedding. Pretty much EVERYTHING about our wedding day was Do It Youself (DIY). Not even kidding! We were on a tight budget and I love making things as personal as possible so they were. Not only myself, but SO many close friends and family stepped up and added their talents to the mix and it make our wedding so lovely and personalized. All those little details are what I think made this day perfect.



I laugh at the above picture because  you would never believe how many different ways we tried this seating decor that day. I'm so lucky to have PATIENT and artistic people in my life. It turned out lovely though. :)

These little button boutteniers were quite possibly my most favorite little detail. I had so much fun making these! I think this was one of the first things I made for the big day. I love how they turned out. So much fun!


My Aunt Vickie made her famous sugar cookies...


Sweet Stickem's Custom Vinyl made some darling stuff for us, including these signs which were another one of my favorite things of the day...


My grandmother made all the pink and orange table runners. I made this vase and we arranged our own flowers...


My cousin Kayleen made several ADORABLE frames that matched our wedding colors. They really added a TON to the whole look of the day...


My sweet, sweet friend Jaime made this adorable Guest Book for us. Which we look at all the time and just LOVE. Each page had one tiny Orange Balloon on it with a memory of my dad. Possibly the sweetest gift I've ever recieved...


A little banner I made to hang over us while we read our vows it sayd Deja & Lucas...


That pretty orange flower in my hair was made by a good friend of mine over at Bowlicious Boutique. I loved the touch of orange...


7. Our amazing videographer, Davey Orgill at Pointe Digital Photography, took us downstairs for some pictures. I love the pictures and video but I loved that time with my husband too. We stepped away from the crowd and just had some one-on-one time together. It was so lovely.





8. GQ and I love breakfast for dinner, and so did my dad. One of my favorite parts about that day was the made-to-order omelettes for us and our guests. They were delicious and I think everyone had a lot of fun with them.





9. There was this little moment that GQ and I snuck off to the corner of the room. I didn't know our photographer captured that moment until later. We kind of just held each other and danced. It was possibly the most romantic moment of the night and one of my favorites.



10. And by far, our favorite part of the day, was the people we had there with us to share in the moment. It was so incredible to have a room full of the people we love the most and who have beent here through a variety of different scenes of our lives. Several even came from various parts of the country. It was the best gift in the world to have them all there.

Here are just a few more of my favorite pictures from that day:

GQ about to throw our STEELERS football that had the rings inside of it...


Deja & Iszacc


My sweet grandma...


A group hug with my in-laws...


My Family...


My bridesmaids...


The groomsmen...


My aunts...


Ron Gardner and I...


We did a lot of kissing...


It was a perfectly wonderful day. Thanks for going along with me. You can see all our wedding photos here.

Happy One Year Anniverary to my Sweet GQ! It's truly been one of the best years ever!

1 comment:

Conchita Hernandez said...

Thanks for sharing! I loved the details of the event, congrats to you both!