5/19/15

I'm a {blind} Pole Dance and here are the 7 Reasons Why


Photo of me courtesy of Adrian Vanderhoof Photography


I’m a {blind} pole dancer and here are the 7 reasons why:

1. I’m stronger. Pole fitness makes you strong. You have to use your entire body, and it shows. I’m stronger than ever when I’m fully immerses in a regular pole fitness routine.

2. It’s stationary. One of the challenges blind people have with sports, dance, gymnastics, figure skating, etc., is that finding your “spot” or “position” can be challenging when you can’t see others in the formation. It’s also a problem sometimes to spin and turn and end up facing the right direction. On the pole, you know where you are at all times and it doesn’t particularly matter where front it.

3. It teaches grace and poise. One thing I didn’t expect to get from pole fitness was to become more graceful and elegant. My posture, dance technique, flexibility, and over-all grace have improved drastically, this has actually transitioned to my cane technique and traveling independently.

4. I’m more confident. When you accomplish a move in pole fitness you have been working on, your confidence level goes through the roof—it’s extremely empowering.

5. It’s very hands on. When I’m learning a new hold, or a new skill, it is easy for my instructor to place my body into the correct position on the pole. I have found pole fitness can be very hands on and interactive, if you find a great teacher (which I’m lucky enough I did).

6. It improves stamina. My stamina flat out SUCKS. I run out of breath so fast it is ridiculous (and embarrassing). Doing pole fitness has helped my stamina significantly—more than anything else I’ve done fitness wise.

7. It’s fun. Last but not least is the simple fact that pole fitness is just fun! There is something so exciting about getting to class and perfecting a skill or learning a new one that’s just joyful. It’s hard, but SO FUN!

As most of you know, I am a big believer in the capabilities of blind people, I think we can do just about anything we want to (with the right training and alternative techniques). Pole fitness is just one of the many things blind people participate in every day. I am not saying everyone should run to their nearest pole fitness class (although you really should), but that everyone should find something (fitness wise) that works for them, that brings joy, and that improves oneself in fitness and in life…I happen to have found this in pole fitness.

What questions do you have about the sport? Let me know.

P.S. Thank you to the beautiful Annie Berry at Southern UtahPole Dance who made me fall in love with the sport, worked with me to figure out ways to make pole work for me, and who encourages me in and out of the studio.

Photo of me courtesy of Adrian Vanderhoof Photography

No comments: