8/8/08

Golden Sunsets

For most of you, you know I lost my dad two years ago to a brain tumor. I miss him as much as I did 2 years ago.

I will label these posts about him "Time", he was the best person I've ever known who used their time so wisely. The following is an excerpt from a talk I gave at his funeral...the hardest speech I have or will ever give. Here's one of a million memories I got to share with my sweet dad....

I personally carry a heavy heart today because my dad was my best friend and my hero, I would find any excuse I could to spend time with him. I remember going to school in Hawaii and wanting my dad to come visit me so badly. I prayed he would find a way to come, to just spend a little time with me. One night I got a distinct impression to call him and ask if he would come. He said he would love to come but just couldn’t afford it. A few minutes later, with tears in my eyes I called him back and said he really needed to come. Later that night he sold his odyssey he had been trying to sell for almost 10 years, the money he got came out to be the exact price of a plane ticket to Honolulu. We had the time of our lives for the three days he came to visit. We went swimming and cliff diving, we walked through surf towns and tried all the local food. We wanted to go to all the beaches on the North Shore so we did, we were sunburned by about noon but just kept going anyway.

Perhaps one of the best times of my life was on a night in Hawaii when we picked up a pizza and sat on the beach at sunset talking and laughing until it was dark. After my dad had left to go back home I remember getting on my knees and praying in thanks for him getting to come. I heard a distinct voice tell me that night that the last three days he was in Hawaii with me would be the most treasured TIME of my life. The next summer he was diagnosed with cancer.

7 comments:

Julie said...

That is an awesome story, Deja! I'm so glad he was able to come and visit you.

Nika, Travis, Ayda and Zander said...

What a sweet memory, keep those close to your heart, thanks for sharing, made me teary!

Kathie said...

I remember your talk so well. I was amazed at your composure and powerful words. You touched so many hearts. I know your father is so proud of you.

Clay and Jessica Brown said...

You've been tagged--check out my blog for the rules!

Jess :D

The Kooky Queen--Rachel said...

Deja, that is so sad but such a neat, sweet story. I didn't know about your dad and I'm so sorry, that must be incredibly hard for you because pain like that never goes away. I love that you cherish the good times though, that's awesome. AND! I'm SO glad you're moving to SLC!! Let's get together!!!

SassaFrass Photography said...

I actually remember that story from the funeral!! It stuck out then as special just as it does now. I always thought your Dad was such a great person. He always seemed to do whatever neccessary in helping out with dance, around the house, and I'm sure a million more things. He was such a special person, I guess that is why the Lord really needed him.

Meg said...

Wow Deja, thanks for sharing that story! I'm so sorry about your dad. It's so hard to lose loved ones, I can't imagine losing someone so close. I didn't know that you went to school in Hawaii! Something else we have in common!